4x4 engagement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrentBronco1987

Reaction score
So now that my 87 bronco 4x4, with the 305 and c6 transmission, is running I want to see how she does in 4 wheel drive.. how do I do this properly. I've seen people put it in neutral and do it but she grinds when I try.. I am able to shift it only when she is off and in park.. the neutral safety switch must be bad bc I can start her in park.. could this be my problem?

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
305 engine? Should be 302 unless its modified in some way I'm not aware of.

The 87 Bco has a shift on the fly t-case. As long as all your wheels are going at the same speed you can engage 4x4 high at any time.

• Lock the Hubs
  • Switch to 4 high.
  • enjoy

In the winter time I leave my hubs locked and drive around in 2wd HI till I hit something that need more driving force.

For 4x4 Low you must
  • come to a complete stop,
  • shift to neutral,
  • Move the t-case to the 4x4Low position.
  • Then you can place the transmission back into gear.

To take it out of 4L

• Come to a complete stop
  • Shift to natural
  • Move the t-case selector to 4hi or 2wd
  • shift the transmission back into gear

Simple once you know what the steps are.

You noted that yours grinds when your trying to shift, I would inspect the shift linkage to make sure it is all in the proper position.

OP
OP
B

BrentBronco1987

Reaction score
305 engine? Should be 302 unless its modified in some way I'm not aware of.

The 87 Bco has a shift on the fly t-case. As long as all your wheels are going at the same speed you can engage 4x4 high at any time.

• Lock the Hubs
  • Switch to 4 high.
  • enjoy

In the winter time I leave my hubs locked and drive around in 2wd HI till I hit something that need more driving force.

For 4x4 Low you must
  • come to a complete stop,
  • shift to neutral,
  • Move the t-case to the 4x4Low position.
  • Then you can place the transmission back into gear.

To take it out of 4L

• Come to a complete stop
  • Shift to natural
  • Move the t-case selector to 4hi or 2wd
  • shift the transmission back into gear

Simple once you know what the steps are.

You noted that yours grinds when your trying to shift, I would inspect the shift linkage to make sure it is all in the proper position.

It is a 302.. that was a type o

BroncoAZ

Reaction score
Next step is to get rid of those hat style hubs only found on the 87-88 models by replacing knuckles out with 89+ parts. A good time to do this is when you need ball joints anyway.

BIG ACE

Reaction score
So now that my 87 bronco 4x4, with the 305 and c6 transmission, is running I want to see how she does in 4 wheel drive.. how do I do this properly. I've seen people put it in neutral and do it but she grinds when I try.. I am able to shift it only when she is off and in park.. the neutral safety switch must be bad bc I can start her in park.. could this be my problem?
Come to a complete stop, neutral or park. Then engage. To deactivate, stop and disengage, then go in reverse for about 12ft. Then put it in drive.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom