351W Heads on a EFI 302

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAMUDHOG

Reaction score
Im having a heating issue with my 1996 Bronco. Setting still it runs at normal temp but running down the road at 60 mph the temp runs near the high side of the Normal range. It has never over heated but the temp is hotter than it should be. I have replaced the Thermostat, temp sending unit and fan clutch (it was bad and needed it). I get heat in the truck if it warms up and is setting still but running down the road its blowing cold air. I've all ready ordered a new heater core and I picked up a brand new radiator I figure replace with new to be safe and it has a warranty. One of my good buddies said I might have a crack in the head gasket. Last night I picked up a freshly built pair of 351W heads that all ready had the spacers pressed in so it would fit the 302. I've been told that I would gain more hp and more lower end torch (is this true?). I figured since I was going to have it a part I ordered a new complete head gasket set, new head bolts, new intake bolts, new heavy duty water pump, new timing chain and and cover, 8.8mm Summit Racing Cap rotor and wire set and new bosh platinum plugs. Is there anything that I'm missing? And just since its been a long time since I've broke down the top end of a V-8 I've been playing with VW's and Hondas for way too long. I need to have number 1 cylinder at top dead center prior to break down correct? Any any ideas good or bad to use the lower and upper intake off of a Mustang GT (302)?

Seabronc

Reaction score
While you are at it, do a good cooling system flush on the engine. When it builds up crap inside the block the heat transfer is not efficient which often adds to your over heating problem. The radiator is a good suspect for being clogged, but since you are changing everything already, seems like you may have it covered.

Good luck,

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo