351m with upper end noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garett78Bronco

Reaction score
I have a 351m and it is making a lot of upper end noise. it almost sounds like the top end is not getting any oil. is this common?

is there an easy fix?

any info or ideas could help

Thanks

muladesigns1

Reaction score
I have a 351m and it is making a lot of upper end noise. it almost sounds like the top end is not getting any oil. is this common?is there an easy fix?

Thanks
Whats the mileage on the motor? If it has had a hard life, it could be that the valve train is clogged and not letting oil to the lifters.

I have a 400M in my 79 F150 and the valves are not adjustable I don't know about the 351. You may want to check that as well. Either way I would pop a valve cover and see how clean or nasty it is in there.

Justbust1n

Reaction score
I have a 351m and it is making a lot of upper end noise. it almost sounds like the top end is not getting any oil. is this common?is there an easy fix?

Thanks
does it do it when it first cranked up or does it do it the whole time it is cranked?

OP
OP
G

Garett78Bronco

Reaction score
i just did a overhaul on the engine, thus i know that the push rods are not clogged up. yes the 351m is like the 400m in that you can not adjust the tappets, you can only get longer or shorter pushrods. but the pushrods are all within spec. so i am just not sure if the engine is leaking the oil pressure someplace else aka the crankshaft, or pressure valve, or gasket. or if there is someplace else it could be loosing pressure.

ricks73eb

Reaction score
wow not good on a fresh overhaul!! id take the valve covers off and fire it up. if your not getting oil there shut er down and dig in..

did you get the crank chamfered? because ive heard that could leave the top end hurting for oil in some cases..

what kind of cam did you install? on the 351/400's as you know the valve train isnt adjustable so if you instaled a higher lift cam.... you get the picture

but they do make shims.

i had to install them on 1 of my 460's (same rocker design) and all i put in there was a torqe/rv cam..

Last edited by a moderator:

89Bronco58

Reaction score
you have a guage in the dash of your truck. so what does it say when you start it, if the pressure is up and good, then most likely you have done soemthing wrong during the overhaul , my guess, soemthing is clogged somewheres, were the heads rebuilt? if not they could be clogged up and not be getting oiled, so yea start it up without a valve cover on and check whats going on, maybe you just have a loose rocker....never knoww

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke