302 rebuild costs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

76Explorer

Reaction score
how much does it generally cost to rebuild a 302 winsor?
I just finished rebuilding my 302 last month, I got my rebuild kit from the link below, I upgraded to a hi volume oil pump, clevitte 77 bearings, and a felpro gasket set for a total of $280.98 My machining bill was a little over $600 including rebuilding the heads with all new valves and springs. Add a new water pump, assorted cleaning supplies, antifreeze, oil, filter, and some engine paint, and the 1 most important thing that I bought was the "How to rebuild a small block ford" book by George Reid. My grand total was right at $1000 and worth every penny.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductMo...uctModelId=1546

OP
OP
viperfangs2

viperfangs2

Reaction score
i plan for 302 to be my first rebuild i have never had any one teach me(i asked allot of questions though from various different people but no one stood there and helped me) any thing i just bought a book and trial and error i have swapped engines pulled out tranys and but them back in fixed various break downs fuel pumps, water pumps, head gaskets, major tune ups i like working on my bronco 2 and my 1998 Oldsmobile and friends Chevy's so i am pretty confident that i can do a rebuild. after I'm done rebuilding the engine i will drop it in my bronco 2

muladesigns1

Reaction score
i plan for 302 to be my first rebuild i have never had any one teach me(i asked allot of questions though from various different people but no one stood there and helped me) any thing i just bought a book and trial and error i have swapped engines pulled out tranys and but them back in fixed various break downs fuel pumps, water pumps, head gaskets, major tune ups i like working on my bronco 2 and my 1998 Oldsmobile and friends Chevy's so i am pretty confident that i can do a rebuild. after I'm done rebuilding the engine i will drop it in my bronco 2
You'll be amazed at how easy it is to rebuild a motor. Remember two things, doublre check all tolerances twice! and keep everything hospital clean.

OP
OP
viperfangs2

viperfangs2

Reaction score
i was amazed how easy it was to swap an engine 3 years back i bought me a bronco 2 it had a great engine and every thing well

walmart over tightened my oil plug lost all my oil and locked up my engine i had $300 and was told by and attorney that i would be better off letting it go so i had to get to work well i bought a Haynes Manuel and a 2.9l for $200 i didn't even know what an alternator was but 6 days later i had a running truck!!!

muladesigns1

Reaction score
i was amazed how easy it was to swap an engine 3 years back i bought me a bronco 2 it had a great engine and every thing well walmart over tightened my oil plug lost all my oil and locked up my engine i had $300 and was told by and attorney that i would be better off letting it go so i had to get to work well i bought a Haynes Manuel and a 2.9l for $200 i didn't even know what an alternator was but 6 days later i had a running truck!!!
seing and unfortunately getting work done by all the hacks out there is why I started my own business 5 years ago. I am **** about things being done correctly and have to look as good as they do function.

Good luck with the build and try to do as much as you can itll be more satisfieing and save you a lot of money at the same time.

76Explorer

Reaction score
seing and unfortunately getting work done by all the hacks out there is why I started my own business 5 years ago. I am **** about things being done correctly and have to look as good as they do function.Good luck with the build and try to do as much as you can itll be more satisfieing and save you a lot of money at the same time.
Thats why I decided to rebuild mine myself, and even though I took my time and triple checked everything, I was still a nervous wreck while wearing in the cam lobes for that 25 minutes @ 2500 rpms.

muladesigns1

Reaction score
Thats why I decided to rebuild mine myself, and even though I took my time and triple checked everything, I was still a nervous wreck while wearing in the cam lobes for that 25 minutes @ 2500 rpms.
Youll never get over that, every time i do some type of major repair or swap Im always on eggshells for the first few miles, you go over it again and again and still think you may have missed something. thats a good thing, If you get to comfortable then you usually make mistakes at that time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22