1997 Ford Expedition XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

picojay

Reaction score
My 1997 XLT came without the Overhead Console thermometer/compass. I purchased a used one and put it in with the wire harness but it still does not work. My question is, does it have to be programmed in the vehicle computer to turn it on or should it come on once its plugged in. Any help would be appreciated.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Did you get the temperature sensor that mounts near the grill?  If the truck didn't come with the console, it will not have the sensor installed.  It mounts behind a little black shield, but I believe the wiring will be there.

Also, you need to calibrate the compass.  That is done by going to a large parking lot where you can drive around in a circle about 4 or 5 times.  Set the compass in calibrate mode and start driving around in a circle until it is calibrated.  I believe it will shut off the calibrate mode when it is finished.  It has been a long time since I have done it so I don't remember if it shut off automatically or if I just noticed that it was giving the correct magnetic indications and reset it myself.   

Good Luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke