Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
1996 Bronco 5.8 Can the security system that shuts down all the power be disable for good I am having big problems with it when I started back using my keyless remote?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a security light?

Someone else will know better than me but my 96 did not have any security system. Standard key.

OP
OP
George Coleman
Reaction score
No light that I have seen so if not then what is going on, when I have this problem I hear a clicking sound from behind the dash and I am at a loss as to what is going on??

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Remote starts can be goofy.

Does it turn over at all?

So some of the things that can prohibit remote start,
bad hood switch? (I usually never hook them up) Just unhook it for testing.
Stepping on the brake pedal will usually shut off the remote start, so something like a broken and shorted filament in a tail light can prevent the remote start process.

Then most of the installers do a really crappy job so you could have a loose connection in one of the wires in the ignition circuit.

OP
OP
George Coleman
Reaction score
When I go to start the whole system electrically is shut down even the windows do not work I can not start it by jumping the Starter solenoid , it just is completely dead

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Does the engine turn over when you jump the solenoid and just not start?

Or does the engine not turn over at all?

You mentioned remote start problems, but does it start with the key?

paul rondelli

Reaction score
Hoy crap

jumping the solenoid ... by-passes everything. That is battery directly to starter ... no BS to deal with. My 1996 had some crappy little alarm that would go off every now and again ... I just cut the speaker out of the Bronco.

I would check grounds. Have you tried to jump the relay? Just run 12V from the battery directly to the little "S" plug on top of the relay. That is another way to by-pass everything .. you put 12V to that connector and the relay will supply power directly to the starter bypassing neutral safety/ Ignition control module/ and column controls

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo George,
As Tiha advised and the Ford anti-theft system was not available in 1996 model year Broncos as it was in 1993-1994.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Remote starts can be goofy.

Does it turn over at all?

So some of the things that can prohibit remote start,
bad hood switch? (I usually never hook them up) Just unhook it for testing.
Stepping on the brake pedal will usually shut off the remote start, so something like a broken and shorted filament in a tail light can prevent the remote start process.

Then most of the installers do a really crappy job so you could have a loose connection in one of the wires in the ignition circuit.
These little electric things is why I stay away from newer vehicles. I like the older stuff that is more simple and you can see things alot better.

OP
OP
George Coleman
Reaction score
When this happens there is nothing no power at all it is dead. What i do not get is the clicking sound from behind the dash and nothing works at all?? No remote start

johnnyreb

Reaction score
When this happens there is nothing no power at all it is dead. What i do not get is the clicking sound from behind the dash and nothing works at all?? No remote start
I,d run down that clicking sound. It might be your answer--like a bad connection or relay that needs the terminals cleaned or grounded. Bad connection on grounds cause alot of problems and I,d start checking as many grounds and cleaning them good for a start.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad battery cable or connection. If everything is dead.

Like, turn your headlights on. They are pretty much direct battery power. If they go out when you try to start it, or try to jumper the solenoid then you are losing battery voltage or connection.
Could be right on the battery terminal, clean those first, or it could be a failure inside one of the cables, positive or ground.
Feel for warm and swollen spots.

OP
OP
George Coleman
Reaction score
Well I think I have solved the problem, we will see. I had a starter that was going bad so I installed a new one from Jeffs Bronco and in the prosses I found some wiring that was exposed , so I repaired and renewed these areas and so far no problems . We will see!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo