1991 tailgate wiring diagram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChappDogg

Reaction score
I have a mess, a wiring nightmare. does anyone have or know wiring for the tailgate window. the wiring connector at the switch has been cut off. I need to know what wires goes where to get my window to work. To see if it even works? I'm also looking for a dash panel that cover the heater/air controls, and radio. Anyone parting out a 91 silver anny? I'm looking for parts.

Thanks Chappdogg

brizzy351

Reaction score
Ive had some problems with my tailgate window.The way that I found out if it worked or not was to pull off the tailgate pannel disconnect the wire connector that hooks to the motor it should be two wires. connect a 12 volt source to the wires through some jumper wires. Polarity doesnt matter the window will go up one way and down the other. My window was stuck up so I had to get in the back of my truck and work from inside it. As far as the wireing diagram you can go to your nearest car parts store and buy the manual for your truck they usually have a good wireing diagram in them.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
ChappDogg, look for a recent post on the tailgate wiring, SeaBronc posted a diagram for the tg motor. I have a black dash panel from my 88 parts Bronco, PM me if you want it. JSM84

Seabronc

Reaction score
With the exception of connector designation the wiring has been the same since 1980 including the color codes of the wires and fuses numbers. Attached is a diagram from the 1992 EVTM.

Good luck,

:)>-

92_Tailgate.jpg

OP
OP
ChappDogg

ChappDogg

Reaction score
With the exception of connector designation the wiring has been the same since 1980 including the color codes of the wires and fuses numbers.  Attached is a diagram from the 1992 EVTM.
Good luck,

25052[/snapback]

Thanks for the diagram, it will help. I just have to figure out how to read it :wacko: .

The tailgate wiring harness is a mess so I might get a new one. On the switch there is 5 connections. How do I tell what wire goes where? Thanks again. ChappDogg

Seabronc

Reaction score
The black with white stripe wire is the power from fuse 12, it goes to the center contact on the switchs. The Purple with light blue and the purple with light green wires go to the two contacts between the two switches. The tan/black and red/yellow goe to the outside contacts on the switches.

R/Y B/W P/LG P/LB B/W T/Bk

----------------- -------------------

Good luck,

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
The black with white stripe wire is the power from fuse 12, it goes to the center contact on the switchs. The Purple with light blue and the purple with light green wires go to the two contacts between the two switches.  The tan/black and red/yellow goe to the outside contacts on the switches.
    R/Y  B/W P/LG      P/LB  B/W  T/Bk

-----------------      -------------------

Good luck,

25063[/snapback]

Even though the tail gate switch is one unit it actually contains two switches mounted a bracket. There is a C clip and Spring clip holding the pieces on the key tumbler. Raise the window untill you can get at the switch, remove the C clip, remove the actuator arm, remove the spring clip and then the switch bracket comes off. Be careful not to lose the washers and pay attention to the order in which they come off.

Also, don't turn the key while the parts are off the tumbler. If you turn it so the tumbler is upside down when you put it back together, you will not be able to remove the key from the lock. Solution, take the switch parts back off and turn the tumbler 180 degrees and reinstall the switch parts.

Good luck,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rickyb571