1990 Bronco XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

armymedicmike

Reaction score
I have a starting issue. It is getting fire, fuel, and air. It will turnover but will not start. Starter is good, timing is spot on, and changed plugs and wires, replace coil and module. Any ideas as to what it could be.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
5.8 or 5.0?

Try using starting fluid that can tell a lot. Like incorrect firing order. Or maybe it will run fine on starting fluid.

An actual fuel pressure reading would be helpful. 90, so it has 2 fuel pumps? One in tank and one on the frame rail?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo armymedicmike,
Welcome to our site and Thank You for your Service to our Country!

As Tiha advised, and;

See How To Troubleshoot A No Start (Ford 4.9L, 5.0L, 5.8L) @
Contents of this tutorial:
  1. Difference Between A No Crank And A No Start.
  2. No Start Condition Basics.
  3. No Start 1: Checking For Spark.
  4. No Start 2: Checking For Fuel.
  5. No Start 3: Checking Engine Mechanical Condition.
  6. No Start Summary.
  7. Related Test Articles.

Here are the 1990 Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop, Emission and Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals (EVTM), Partial by member Kingfish999 in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck service manuals - Google Drive
&
1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf by Ford via member 90.CaliBronco in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf
Suggest you download both for faster scrolling and to use the table of contents index.

1990 Ford Bronco Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1990-Ford-Bronco.pdf

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by BroncMom!

See my mostly recovered View attachment 202203
site by member schwim @ Ford Bronco And F-150 Links - FORD BRONCO

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Have tried starting fluid and still a no go. It's 5.0
How many miles are on this thing? Any idea?

If it doesn't run, spit back through intake or exhaust on starting fluid then one of two things are happening.

No spark or No air
No air meaning, Like a broken or skipped timing chain. valves not opening at the right time.

Compression test is where I would go next.

Motech

Reaction score
I was thinking bad MAP sensor, but starting fluid would overcome that.

So now I'm thinking weak spark.

Try disconnecting SPOUT connector, the ignition timing bypass plug. If it starts, or even tries to, you likely have a bad PIP sensor, the pickup coil inside distributor.

If that's the case, a reman distributor i# the cheapest and easiest repair. But with 100K, you'll want to replace the Ignition Control Module and Ignition Coil too.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Don't overlook plugged exhaust. When you have air, fuel, and spark and she won't light, you are stuck at valve\ ign timing, fuel quality (the starting fluid will disprove this), and last plugged exhaust. I've seen it a few times. It almost always messes up the guy diagnosing
hope that helps
cheers

Last edited:

Motech

Reaction score
Don't overlook plugged exhaust. When you have air, fuel, and spark and she won't light, you are stuck at valve\ ign timing, fuel quality (the starting fluid will disprove this), and last plugged exhaust. I've seen it a few times. It almost always messes up the guy diagnosing.

Boy Howdy!

(Typically causes some intake snort & backfiring too)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke