1988 ****** manual locking hubs broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987BroncoProject

Reaction score
The manual locking hubs are stuck in the lock position so the front drive shaft is always turning. I have been told that this is causing unncecessary wear on the front bearings, etc and reducing gas mileage when in 2W mode.

We were having a shop put on new hubs but they found that they are the ****** hubs that were in existence for like 1 year of production and we were "lucky" enough to have these on the vehicle. I am told you have a hard time replacing the Ford ****** hubs (warn doesn't carry them) and told that maybe I need to contact Ford directly.

Some Ford sites say that you can convert over to stronger and better non-****** hubs which is really what I would like to do.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for all your help.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

See my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=106

for following;

****** Style (Top Hat) Hub Knuckle Out Conversion Kit pic (a product) in 87 to Early 88; This is for your 1987-88 Ford Bronco or F150 with the one piece lockout hub design. This will convert you to the 1980-86 and 89-92 Ford Bronco and F150 style front axle. This Kit Includes: OEM Dana Spindles (left and right); OEM Dana Outer Axle Shafts (left and right); Mile Marker (lifetime warranty) Lockout Hubs; Inner Wheel Bearings (left and right); Outer Wheel Bearings (left and right); New Hub and Rotor Assembly With Wheel Studs (left and right); OEM Dana/Spicer U-Joints (left and right); OEM Dana/Spicer Spindle Nuts and Washers (left and right); Hub Oil Seals (left and right); Ball joints. NOTE: Ball joints are not pictured. RECOMMEND ALSO REPLACING AXLE PIVOT BUSHINGS!!..."; miesk5 NOTE; year range is incorrect Source: by Jeff's Bronco Graveyard broncograveyard.com

Jeff at the Bronco Graveyard has offered a 2% discount to members of The BroncoZone for on line orders. To get your discount, enter the discount code BZMEMBER. Also you must include your BroncoZone User Name with the order.

-----------

or from Yard Queen parts;

****** Style (Top Hat) Hub Knuckle Out Conversion to Warn® 6 ***** Premium Manual hubs Info & pics in an 88

Source: by Eric D (Beast, B-Man) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/4291/30076-2

------

****** Style (Top Hat) Hubs are different than other Broncos; "...This was another of Ford's better ideas. For 87 and early 88 Ford used a one-piece locking hub assembly. This hub simply sits between the wheel and brake rotor and is held in place by the wheel studs. This type of hub is very easy to remove (simply remove the wheel), but it is different from all other Broncos and therefore parts and replacement hubs are expensive and hard to find. To convert your 87-88 Bronco to the "standard" hubs you'll need to swap all the parts from the spindle out from a Bronco or F-150. It may even be possible to take these parts from any vehicle with a Dana 44 front axle and the same wheel bolt pattern as the Bronco (5 on 5.5"). If you are considering this swap it would be a good time to consider the 8 lug axle swap you've always wanted (see section 10.2)..." Source: by Matt K at off-road.com via web.archive.org

click; Impatient

a few times

GL!

OP
OP

1987BroncoProject

Reaction score
miesk5!! Thank you very much. I was hoping you would add a comment as you have some of the very best reference material!!

Many many thanks.

David

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke