1988 Bronco II Fuel Issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaxwithanx

Reaction score
I just purchased first Bronco II, sort of an impulse buy. I have always loved the body style and it was really straight with no rust and runs well. There are only two issues going on that I thought I should be able to fix fairly easily. That's where you guys come in, hopefully....

1. Fuel gage does not work at all, owner said it intermittently would, but I have only driven a handful of times and have not seen it move yet.

2. Runs well and smooth for first minute or so then idle slowly starts to decrease and it will sometimes shut entirely off, sometimes not. It never starts sputtering, but it is almost as if the fuel pressure cycles down for a short time and then picks back up. It does this while driving too. When accelerating and going through gears everything seems fine but once I coast or decelerate for a few seconds and press the gas again I get nothing, or if I do it is a very weak return. Definitely not proportional to the amount I'm down on the pedal. It never completely dies, just does not accelerate again until I drop down a gear or pump the clutch a few times and that seems to get it going again.

These issues scream fuel pump and filter to me but I'm not sure which fuel pump to attack or if this might be an injector or electrical issue. The fact the fuel gage doesn't work either seems like it might point to part of the issue as well....but I'm not an expert by an means.

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance!

BTW I will try pulling codes in the next couple of days, I found the tutorial by BroncoJoe. Also, I used search and found some similar cases but my problems seems pretty specific so I was hoping someone would be able to make a little better sense out of my situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jei Jei CR

Reaction score
The Ford Bronco has two fuel pumps one in the tank and another half way that providesthe necessary pressure to the injection system. So there are two relays that feed eachpump, that are located on the left side of the vehicle engine (left side of your drive),near the battery, check it out, false contacts often generate this kind of problembecause it is intermittent . Be sure to make good electrical connections. Hope this helps.

pattygook

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I'd start with checking your codes. It's extremely easy (one light and a jumper wire). I made one in about 2 minutes. I kept the printout in my glove box of which wires to jump in a zip-loc bag along with the light and jumper wire.

My bronco ii's fuel gauge was always going haywire, then one day the low pressure fuel pump (the one in the fuel tank) decided to die. A new fuel pump / fuel level sending unit assembly cost about 100 bucks and an afternoon to install (I took my time). So, that might be something to look into.

I know you can definitely diagnose the high pressure fuel pump, but I'm just not sure how and what kind of tools would be required.

The fuel filter is pretty easy to get to. It's located directly below the drivers seat in what looks like a oil filter with 2 input and 2 output lines. It took me a while to get it open the first time, but every time after that was no problem. I was having a somewhat similar problem and checked my fuel filter to find there wasn't one there! The previous owner must have taken it out and forgotten to replace it.

But anyway, I'd start with the fuel filter (cheapest), then progress to other things. Anyway, good luck with troubleshooting.

andre

Reaction score
the fuel gauge are commond problem on those

the why my 3 b2 made door trap in back

check sending unit connector if coroded any good shop can get new connector

check cat converter may be block

can check fuel pressure on fuel rail

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads