1987 Ford bronco engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anichols337

Reaction score
Hey all I just bought my first truck it’s a 87 ford bronco full size. She’s got a straight six and a 4 spd manual. When replacing my head gasket I discovered a hairline crack about 5 inches long on my block. I need to get a new engine and I am having a lot of trouble with finding some any suggestions on which one I should go for preferably would stick with the L6

OP
OP
A

anichols337

Reaction score
Hey all I just bought my first truck it’s a 87 ford bronco full size. She’s got a straight six and a 4 spd manual. When replacing my head gasket I discovered a hairline crack about 5 inches long on my block. I need to get a new engine and I am having a lot of trouble with finding some any suggestions on which one I should go for preferably would stick with the L6
CABB807C-F5A3-4FDB-A73F-0FBB95354020.jpeg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo anichols337,
Welcome and congratulations on acquiring the great looking 87!
Check with local Ford dealer to see if the Motorcraft reman engine is available. The warranty is 36 months.
"
LIMITED WARRANTY STATEMENT (FOR RETAIL SALES ON OR AFTER 9/1/2010)
Ford New and Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines
Ford Motor Company, The American Road, Dearborn, MI 48121 (“Ford”) provides the following Limited Warranty on Ford New and
Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines to Ford and Lincoln Dealers (each being a “Dealer”) or general Installers (each being
an “Installer”). This Limited Warranty provides Ford will credit the Dealer or Installer for repairing or replacing, at Ford’s option, any Ford
Transmission or Gas Engine sold by Ford in the United States, for installation in the United States, in a Ford or Lincoln vehicle that was
sold, registered/licensed, and operated in the United states, that is found to be defective in factory-supplied material or workmanship
subject to the following terms, conditions and limitations:
Vehicle Owner: To obtain warranty service, please return your vehicle to any Ford or Lincoln Dealership or return to the Installer who
originally installed the Ford Gas Engine or Transmission Assembly in your vehicle. You must have one of the following items:
• Vehicle Owner assembly installation repair order which includes Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), date of installation, assembly part
number, and odometer reading
• Dealer Over-the-counter Invoice documenting date of purchase, assembly part number, & VIN
• Your powertrain was registered by a Ford or Lincoln Dealer.
Gas Engine Long Block Assemblies (6006/6007/6V006/6V012) and Transmission Assemblies (7000/7V000/7002/7003)
• For 36 months from warranty start date (unlimited miles), Ford will cover 100% of all parts and labor at approved warranty
reimbursement rates
• If installed by a Dealer, reasonable towing charges (up to 35 miles or to the nearest Dealer) are covered only if the vehicle is not
covered under another towing insurance coverage
• Excludes gas engine short blocks (6009)
Warranty Start Date for Ford New or Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines
• If Dealer-installed, the Warranty Start Date is the date of installation.
• If sold Over-the-counter to a vehicle owner, the Warranty Start Date is the date of sale.
• If sold Over-the-counter to a fleet, general installer or wholesaler, the Warranty Start Date is the date the assembly is installed (could
be later than the date of sale).
Limitations to the Warranty
The following limitation applies to the products covered by this Limited Warranty:
• Towing charges are not reimbursable for Ford Transmissions and Gas Engines sold over-the-counter by a Dealer or Installer
How to obtain Limited Warranty coverage for Ford Transmissions and Gas Engines sold over-the-counter by a
Dealer or Installer:
This statement applies to over-the-counter customers of a Dealer, such as a vehicle owner, independent repair facility, wholesaler, or
fleet customer.
The Dealer or Installer can claim both parts and labor under the Limited Warranty if the vehicle owner, at his/her option,
• Returns the vehicle to the Installer (from which the assembly was purchased) or to any Dealer for repairs, or
• Returns the Ford New or Remanufactured Transmission or Gas Engine to the Installer (from which the assembly was purchased) or to
any Dealer for repairs
NOTES on obtaining Limited Warranty coverage for Ford Transmissions and Gas Engines:
• This Limited Warranty may be honored by the original Installer or any Dealer (even though that particular Dealer was not the original
purchaser/seller of the product)
• In order for the Dealer or Installer to claim under the Limited Warranty, the Installer or vehicle owner (whether original vehicle owner or
subsequent transferee) must provide the Dealer the following information when repairs are requested:
• Authorization code from the Powertrain Assistance Center (PAC) @ 800-392-7946
• A copy of the original vehicle owner’s assembly installation repair order
• Only new Ford Original Equipment, Ford Authorized Remanufactured, or other parts or assemblies authorized by Ford may be used to
complete covered warranty repairs
• Installer labor reimbursement is calculated using Ford Labor Times Standard hours multiplied by the selling Dealership’s warranty labor
rate or the Installer’s actual labor total, whichever is less
• Diagnostic steps taken to determine cause of warrantied concern with diagnostic results must be clearly documented on Installer
repair order. (Warranty parts and labor reimbursement requests must be supported by diagnostic labor steps and test results)
• All parts replaced under warranty must be returned to your selling Dealer
THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER FORD REMANUFACTURED TRANSMISSIONS AND GAS ENGINES THAT FAIL
DUE TO ABUSE, MISUSE, NEGLECT, ALTERATION, ACCIDENT, RACING, OR PARTS AND ACCESSORIES INSTALLED IN
VEHICLES OTHER THAN THOSE LISTED IN FORD AUTHORIZED CATALOGS INCLUDING OTHER FORD MOTOR COMPANY
BRANDS, OR THE USE OF NON-FORD PARTS, OR LACK OF PROPER MAINTENANCE. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES
NOT COVER PARTS WHICH ARE REPLACED AS PART OF NORMAL MAINTENANCE. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES
NOT COVER REPEAT REPAIRS PERFORMED AS A RESULT OF A MISDIAGNOSIS OR IMPROPER PRIOR REPAIR. TO THE
EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW, LOSS OF TIME, INCONVENIENCE, LOSS OF THE USE OF THE VEHICLE, COMMERCIAL LOSS,
AND INCIDENTAL AND CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARE NOT COVERED. THERE IS NO OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
WARRANTY ON THESE FORD NEW AND REMANUFACTURED TRANSMISSIONS AND GAS ENGINES INCLUDING, BUT
NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
TO THE EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS IS LIMITED TO THE
DURATION OF THIS WRITTEN LIMITED WARRANTY.
To retain the safety and dependability built into this product, it is essential that your Ford Remanufactured Transmission or Gas Engine
receives the scheduled maintenance at the recommended intervals contained in your vehicle Owner’s Manual/Maintenance Schedule"

If none are available, ask for their source.
■●■
See 1987 Ford Bronco Catalog, "Great Go-Togethers, Eddie Bauer and Ford Bronco" - The Henry Ford

1987 Owner's Manual, partial (Towing it & 4 speed manual transmission shift patterns & operation) by Ford via Mikey350 @ 1996 Ford Bronco 87 Bronco Owners Manual pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site
Al

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Not alot of Broncos have the 300 I6, its almost a cool cult classic kinda of deal to see one that does. If I were you, I would put in a new 300 I6. I know the v8 Broncos like the upper RPMs and go down the highway better but I would spend the money.

My Idea would be to start with a craigslist engine, find a trusted machine shop and work with them 1 on 1, roller rockers, EFI friendly roller cam, high flow (regular pressure) oil pump. but still keep the compression stock so the factory EEC can run the engine with out issue.

Just an idea of what I would do if I had the opportunity.

Reaction score
it prob was frozen, the blocks are pretty rugged otherwise... you could totally get a junkyard engine if you have them in your area at the local jy.. the blocks are most always salvageable, if not in generally running order. people junk those rigs because the fuel pump died here in seattle. lot's of em. i'd prob drop the oil pan before pulling it and see if it's carboned/gunked up. but finding a 4.9 block ain't hard. they made shitloads of em. they sometimes end up in the jy because of the phenolic (plastic/fibre) timing gear. if you drop an oil pan and you see bits of gear, find another one. if you find a good one, replace that phenoolic gear with a alum/steel combo. it will last way longer than any of the v8's will.

BroncoAZ

Reaction score
I love those 300 I6 engines, especially with a manual trans. I had one in a 81 E-150 van that was in my family for 37 years, never had a problem with it. They are available in the junk yards near me regularly, I think they were in trucks until 1993ish. I don’t know when they went from carb to EFI, but if yours is carb I’d try to find one with EFI if yours is carbed.

petek

Reaction score
Not sure where your at. But look for a F150 with the I6. That should be the same engine. Plus lots more of the F150's had them then Bronco's. Wish I could have found one with a I6. Know most don't like them, but man they just keep going and going.

pappy19

Reaction score
Spend the extra money and get a genuine Ford remanufactured I6 and have the dealership install it. Also, you get a 3 year warranty and unlimited miles.

chrlsful

Reaction score
it is known as "the gasser that's a diesel" & last few yrs went efi (end of run wuz '96). For some real 'ins & outs' see:

ford6:

FTE:

2 of my 'go-to' sources on da net (20 yrs now)... BUT, Listen, now!
Every automotive Q is answred by "What is the final application of this vehicle?"
Will U use this vehicle like Abandon Bronco duz or F250Restorer? May B FrenchTown Flyer or MeBigHunter, GroceryGet.Her...

Each of the 2 above hasa "4 Sale" forum to ck as well...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke