1987 bronco 2 sputters when not accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rich87bronco2

Reaction score
I recently found a 1987 Bronco 2 that is in great shape. Beautifully maintained but after I get up to speed and I'm just maintaining a constant speed, it starts to kinda sputter or skip. when i apply the gas it will stop the sputtering. Really only does it at speed over 50 mph.. Any ideas on the cause?? thanks

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Rich,

Welcome.

What are your vitals on the truck? Engine size, man or auto, Fi or carb? When was the last tune?

You may have a carb problem if you are running a carb. ( I don't know the specs off the top of my head like some guys on here) Fuel delivery is my first thought. Clogged fuel filter.

Usually when the ignition system is breaking down, it's under load. That would mean that your would get the sputter when you try to accelerate. Sounds like that is not the case.

On any new (new to me) vehicle I get I do a basic check of the timing, filters, fluids, vacuum lines, cooling and charging system.

That said It sounds like you should check the fuel filter first.

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Rich,

WELCOME!

What engine and trans is in there?

If fuel injected:

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19

http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/page__pid__74587__mode__threaded

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.

Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse. Then turn off all accessories/lights, etc.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic) or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Do Key On Engine Off (KOEO) portion first.

And Post em here according to:

KOEO

&

KOER

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

rich87bronco2

Reaction score
2.9 v-6 fuel injected, auto trans, 4x4.. previous owner thinks clogged injector. it was very well kept but sat for about a month before i bought it. i've had it for 3 weeks. I want to thank you guys for responding to my question. I have to try and get this worked out on pretty much a ZERO budget

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Rich,

"I get up to speed and I'm just maintaining a constant speed, it starts to kinda sputter or skip. when i apply the gas it will stop the sputtering. Really only does it at speed over 50 mph.."

That doesn't sound like a clogged injector. If one were clogged it would be clogged all the time, and your symptoms would be present at all engine speeds.

Do the checks like M5 suggested. I'm still leaning toward a fuel filter. especially since you said it had been sitting.

Good Luck

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno