1987 351w ** conversion to 1988 351w EFi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buzzard

Reaction score
i recently purchased a 1987 fullsize bronco that has just the tranny and tcase - no motor.  I also inherited a 1988 ford 150 after the passing of my grandfather.  He purchased the truck new in 1988 and  the truck has 86, 352 original miles.   I was wondering if the engine swaps are possible and what all will need to be swapped.  Will all dash gauges need to be swapped.  I do know I will need to switch gas tank as from what I have observed form crawling underneath both vehicles they are somewhat of a different setup as far as fuel pumps.     any info the types of problems  or bugs I might encounter or  if any members have done something similar to this will greatly be appreciated.  I know this is a lot to ask on a first post but  I am lost in which direction to go as of now.  Thanks in advance.

Buzzard

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone > :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /><    I guess my first question is, what condition is the F150 in?  My thinking is that if the F150 is in great shape, rather than tear it apart for the engine, why not keep it as well?  A pickup comes in handy.  As far as the FSB, take your pickup to  junkyard and have them load a rebuidable engine into the back for your Bronco.  OR, sell the F150 and use the money to get a new engine for the FSB.  

As far as putting the 88 engine in the 87 Bronco, it is pretty much of a drop in.  You will need the computer and wiring harness from the F150.  The gauges should be the same.  A F150 and Bronco are bascially the same truck.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
I have to agree with Seabronc..,

The first question for me would be.., what was so wrong with the Bronco that they only wanted the engine..?

What do you know 'bout the trannie/transf, axles, differentials, etc..?

Do you have to put in an eng. to find out what works & what doesn't..?

I would struggle gutt'n a perfectly good pick-up..... :((    Just say'n

OP
OP
B

buzzard

Reaction score
from what I understand the previous owners wife drove the bronco with a busted radiator until it finally- the motor  seized up.  As far as the F-150 for some reason the cab of the truck is rusted and would take a fortune to fix.  I remember my grandfather having the truck repainted twice free of charge due to 1st time paint peeling within months of purchasing and the 2nd time for rust forming.  It was weird for some reason the cab is only what rusted through on the whole truck.  As far as  I know the tranny and t-case still work-both still shift into all gears with ease no binding or grinding.  I guess I really wont know until I swap the motor and put a load on both the tranny and t-case. I appreciate all the help in advance.

For  those wondering my friends call me buzzard from time to time since I am a funeral director.  

Seabronc

Reaction score
Not to belabor this, but almost any rust situation is fixable.  Unless you are dead set on pulling that F150 apart, post a picture of that cab, maybe we can come up with some suggestions to salvage it without going broke.

Untill next time, in the words of Digger O'Dell, "Well, I got to be shoveling along"  :lol:

:)>-

OP
OP
B

buzzard

Reaction score
Seabronc what all did you mean by the wiring harness.  Just the computer and harness that is hooked up to the computer or the whole harness that is hooked up to the lights, fuel tank t-case A/C and brake system.   Just want to make sure before I start  pulling wires.  Thanks in advance.

Buzzard

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno