1984 Ford Bronco XLT 351W ** 4V - Vapor canisters... do they ever need replacing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I noticed a cap missing on one of the Vapor canisters (there are 2 in my truck) and I got to thinking, do they ever need to be replaced? The Chilton''s manual 1976-86 ford pickups and bronco repair manual, page 4-12 fig. 11, shows two, 2 port canisters with an abbreviated part number 9C985. This is the same setup as my truck. I found that nobody has this 2 port canister, for example, Rockauto, gives a 4 port canister, 2 large, 2 small on the side. I do see 2 port canisters but they are not listed for this bronco. I suppose I could block off the 2 small ports, but I'd rather stay stock. It's possible that the 2 port canisters I have viewed are compatible, but no physical measurement's are given to judge by and they are noted as compatible 1996 7.5 liter engines but not for broncos.

Do they ever need replacing? I don't notice any fumes and they don't leak gas from the tank. It's a new engine, I wrote that up on this site a few years back.
Does anyone have a part number that supercedes the original abbreviated 9C985 in case I want to replace them?

Thank you,
David

Attachments

• 20210708_213519-1.jpg
    20210708_213519-1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 6

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo MaineBroncoBeast,
"By storing the fuel vapors and purging them into the engine at a later time hydrocarbon emissions are reduced, and fuel efficiency is increased." by Ford
Being virtually a zero-maintenance system, most faults are simple valve failures, hose leaks, or mechanical damage (collision, road debris, etc.). Look for water in Cannister.
Faults in the evaporative systems are usually detected by the use of a "fog" machine which pumps a non-toxic non-flammable high-visibility smoke into the vapor lines to make leaks evident.

Here's the recovered Ford Motorcraft® Fuel & Emission Parts Catalog, Bronco/Ford truck & all Fords w/Ford part numbers, Illustrations, Carburetor Tag Numbers & Cross References - 80.6 MB pdf
Source: by Ford @ http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/...ogs/fes200.pdf
Page 295:
Screenshot_20210709-083011_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20210709-082355_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Ford Part Numbers for that Fuel Vapor Canister (Tank), Fuel Vapor Canister Purge Valve
8 Cylinder 5.8L
Bronco, E Series, F Series
Copy part number such as CX-1118

Pull one from a yard queen or buy new:
Google it
Look at sources, such as;
Screenshot_20210709-080222_Chrome.jpg
getimage.php

================
Note that the Catalog also has an ILLUSTRATED PARTS BUYER’S GUIDE @ back, that shows where that PN is used on other Fords!
CX-1118 Fuel Vapor Storage Canister
(E5HE-9D653AA)
Screenshot_20210709-075908_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Well that is what I had determined... now I know what to purchase if it's necessary. But my main question, do they ever need to be replaced in your experience?

Thank you

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,
I just updated my previous reply in order to clean it up. Bad vision day here.
I haven't heard from any Bronco owners that have Cannister failure here or in other sites.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo,
I just updated my previous reply in order to clean it up. Bad vision day here.
I haven't heard from any Bronco owners that have Cannister failure here or in other sites.
I don,t have any of these newer models,but in case I do or meet some who does. How often should they be changed or can they be cleaned and what with?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
I don,t have any of these newer models,but in case I do or meet some who does. How often should they be changed or can they be cleaned and what with?
Yo Johnny,
The canister hardly fails. Some have water intake due to engine cleaning or higbtv w after level fording, driving in a hurricane or falling into a pool.
However a code for the Evap system is;
Code 85 - CANP solenoid - The Carbon Canister solenoid is inoperative or missing. Check vacuum lines for leaks and cracks. Check electrical wiring for loose connections, damaged wiring and insulation. Check solenoid valve operation by grounding the gray/yellow wire to the solenoid and blowing through it.
The computer provides the ground for the solenoid. The red wire to the solenoid is always energized any time the ignition switch is in the run position.

Charcoal canister plumbing - one 3/8" tube from the bottom of the upper manifold to the rubber hose. Rubber hose connects to one side of the canister solenoid valve. Other side of the solenoid valve connects to one side of the canister. The other side of the canister connects to a rubber hose that connects to a line that goes all the way back to the gas tank. There is an electrical connector coming from the passenger side injector harness near #1 injector that plugs into the canister solenoid valve. It's purpose is to vent the gas tank. The solenoid valve opens at cruise to provide some extra fuel. The canister is normally mounted on the passenger side frame rail near the smog pump pulley.
It does not weigh but a pound or so and helps richen up the cruse mixture. It draws no HP & keeps the car from smelling like gasoline in a closed garage. So with all these good things and no bad ones, why not hook it up & use it?
The purge valve solenoid should be available at your local auto parts store.
Purge valve solenoid:

The carbon canister is normally mounted on the passenger side frame rail near the smog pump pulley."

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for the info, I have no reason to change them out and they have always been connected without any problems but since I left the Bronco sit for 3 years after rebuilding it, I'm going to pull everything off the engine and clean/replace whatever I find. Fun in the sun! Oh and unless I'm mistaken, there is no way to get codes on this year. I've been down that road. However, please let me know if there is a way. Engine code EK408AA, Calibration code 4-64G-02, 1984 FORD Bronco XLT 351W High Output 4V.

Thanks again for your well of knowledge.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo Johnny,
The canister hardly fails. Some have water intake due to engine cleaning or higbtv w after level fording, driving in a hurricane or falling into a pool.
Code 85 - CANP solenoid - The Carbon Canister solenoid is inoperative or missing. Check vacuum lines for leaks and cracks. Check electrical wiring for loose connections, damaged wiring and insulation. Check solenoid valve operation by grounding the gray/yellow wire to the solenoid and blowing through it.
The computer provides the ground for the solenoid. The red wire to the solenoid is always energized any time the ignition switch is in the run position.

Charcoal canister plumbing - one 3/8" tube from the bottom of the upper manifold to the rubber hose. Rubber hose connects to one side of the canister solenoid valve. Other side of the solenoid valve connects to one side of the canister. The other side of the canister connects to a rubber hose that connects to a line that goes all the way back to the gas tank. There is an electrical connector coming from the passenger side injector harness near #1 injector that plugs into the canister solenoid valve. It's purpose is to vent the gas tank. The solenoid valve opens at cruise to provide some extra fuel. The canister is normally mounted on the passenger side frame rail near the smog pump pulley.
It does not weigh but a pound or so and helps richen up the cruse mixture. It draws no HP & keeps the car from smelling like gasoline in a closed garage. So with all these good things and no bad ones, why not hook it up & use it?
Purge valve solenoid:

The carbon canister is normally mounted on the passenger side frame rail near the smog pump pulley."

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo Johnny,

Purge valve solenoid:

Thank YOU Mike for serving our country and protecting our freedom too. I appreciate it alot.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Yo MaineBroncoBeast,
YW!
Always glad to share, as others have done for me.

I believe you've been to Gary Marshall's site?
We have been down this road before in 2016... I determined that with an H in my VIN number, the engine was produced in 1985 and uses duraspark II. Ford did not install any ability to read codes on this particular model engine and I posted that tidbit in that 2016 thread. I just wanted to share this in case others can't find the test connecter in their vehicles. My 1984 Bronco XLT 5.8 351W High Output engine was built in 1985. You also shared with me at the time, that you put an 1985 engine in your 1983 truck and it did not have a test connecter. So much fun... aren't they?

chrlsful

Reaction score
the 80s were not as bad as many claim (I wuz here for the 3 B4 and now the 3 after) but here? the fuel delivery system? the worse! as it was a transition. I know some guys can use it as wuz (million different color tinynow-fragile vac hoses, the BBD carb, etc, etc) & claim it's utility. Not me. I hada good income (no need to wrench) and kids (no time) so missed the whole era.
If U can count flashing lights ('85 had the pre OBD system, no?) I say use it, learn the vehicle as engineered. Those guys went to college'n know sompin (yeah, right). But ford put lota money in 'em (design, testing) and is best practices @ the time.
"...pull everything off the engine and clean/replace whatever I find...."
but this sounds extreme for "3 yrs sitting". Not MY call, tho.
Good Luck, I use pressure wash, brake clean, air gun to good results...

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,
Suggest you keep eveything stored becase his administration may enjoy restoring and ENHANCING all vehicle emission testing in all states.

Motech

Reaction score
No PCM to generate codes on the Holley 4 bbl engines. Just straight up analog, fuel air and fire.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22